Want to be a part of influencing employers around why we need more part-time, flexible working roles that appeal to parents and Mums?
As some of you know, since July 2019 I’ve been operating RecruitMum as the social enterprise employment service connecting Mums to part-time, flexible work. Now, a lot of the important work I do, (what I call the ‘Heart work’) is around building the case and sharing the story of the difficulties Mums face in finding suitable work, that fits in with their busy Mum lives.
However, in order to tell that story, I need stories! Real-life stories and shared experiences of how you’ve found navigating back into work between having children. The highs, the lows, the best stories, the worst stories…all in aid, to grow employer understanding around what it’s really like for a HUGE proportion of the community to find work that works, for them and what’s more, work they love!
So, to share these stories, I need the beautiful faces of Mothers accompanied with answers to five questions. One face, five answers – is what I need to create a series of stories and social media posts that uniquely and aspirationally get this message across.
This is what I’d love to know:
- What was your career like before having kids? (Try to explain what job you did, what an average week looked like, how long you worked, and any qualifications you gained to get there in the first place)
- Describe your favourite job/employer to date. (Try to explain what made them your favourite, how did they make you feel to deem them your favourite?)
- What single greatest thing have you learned about your journey since becoming a parent? (In your answer explain in terms of transferable skills to the workplace, how has it made you a stronger person, better employee?)
- Share a not so ideal experience you’ve had in managing your career, since having kids? (This could be anything in terms of a poorly asked question in an interview, an unfair dismissal, a challenging boss, or an inflexible work culture. Use the STAR method to help you answer – Situation Task Action Result)
- If you had the full attention of all the employers in one room, what single message or call to action would you present to them? (Think about what you’d love to change around the employment space for Mums, think about what an ideal world looks like for Mums where there are no barriers to employment or finding work you love and deserve).
If you’d like to be a part of championing change and creating better employment opportunities for Mums (the power is in each of us) then please share your story with me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your image (high-quality jpeg or png file please) and answers to the above questions.
Your story will then be shared on either RecruitMum’s Facebook page (about 600 + followers), my LinkedIn account (500+ connections – you’ll get in front of employers!), and/or the RecruitMum Instagram account (100 + followers).
I’m told if you want to go fast, go alone…but if you want to go far, bring others with you.
We’re Stronger Together. Let’s go together.
Thanks for reading.